Breeding

From Temtem Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
An image from the kickstarter update depicting Raiber's evolutionary line.

Breeding is the method of creating new Temtem Eggs by putting two compatible Temtem together.

Through breeding, newborn Temtem can inherit different aspects from their parents such as Techniques, Traits and Single Values, allowing the players to create unique Temtem that cannot otherwise be found naturally in the wild. [1]

Compatibility[edit | edit source]

If two Temtem share a type, the pair is compatible for breeding. If they do not share a type, they cannot be bred.

For Temtem with two types, the other Temtem only needs one of their types to be compatible. For example, a Temtem that is both water and electric can breed with any Temtem that has either Water or Electric as at least one of its types.[1]

Fertility[edit | edit source]

Temtem have a fertility value that lowers each time a new Egg is produced. This is so a Temtem can only breed a specific amount of times. It is currently maxed at 8 levels. Each illuminated leaf on the branch on a Temtem's information screen shows its fertility. The stem is 1 fertility.

While producing an offspring, both parents will lose one level of fertility. The resulting child will inherit the lower fertility value between the two parents after their egg is produced. For example, if one parent had 8 fertility and the other had 6, after producing an egg their fertility will lower to 7 and 5, respectively, and the child will be born with 5 fertility as well.

In the case of wild Temtem, their fertility is normally level 8, however this value is the default but is also lowered by having "good SVs", meaning any SV value higher than 45. At one or two good stats the fertility drops to 7, three or four good stats lower it to 6, five or six good stats lower it to 5 and having all seven stats good lower it to a maximum of 4.

Acquiring eggs[edit | edit source]

Eggs

To breed a Temtem, the player must hold open their Breeding Center and deposit their desired pair inside to begin the process. The Breeding Center can hold up to two different couples at the same time. It will usually take 10 minutes in real-time for the pair to produce an egg, or 5 minutes if both parents are of the same evolutionary line. The egg will contain a Level 1 Temtem of the first form of the mother's evolutionary line. The Breeding Center can only store one egg per Temtem pair, so the player has to get the egg before the pair can start the breeding process again.

An egg requires 5-45 minutes to hatch, depending on the child Temtem's capture rate. Eggs deposited in the terminal do not have a timer, and therefore will not hatch until removed.[1]

Inheritance[edit | edit source]

The menu preview showing the potential offspring.

The offspring of breeding will inherit from its parents in multiple aspects:

  1. Species - The child's species will be the first-form in the evolutionary line of the female parent.
  2. Fertility - Children will inherit the lower value between the parents fertility counter after the egg is produced. For example, if the parents had 5 and 8 fertility, and produced an egg, their fertility is lowered to 4 and 7 respectively, so the child will inherit a fertility value of 4 as a result.
  3. Techniques - Every Temtem species has a set of techniques it may learn from its parents the moment it hatches. This allows newborns to know moves they would not naturally learn while leveling up. These moves that are acquired specifically through breeding are called Egg Moves and have a small icon of an egg next to them in the Temtem's information panel.
  4. Single Values - Every one of the child's stats has a 40% chance being the higher SV value between the parents, 40% chance being the average of both parents' SVs, and 20% chance being the lower of the two SVs.[2]
  5. Traits - By default, traits are not inherited and instead will be selected randomly upon hatching, although, like SVs, certain gear items can ensure inheriting traits from one of the parents. The child can only be assigned traits that normally spawn on them. if a parent is forced to pass down a trait but the trait doesn't match what the child can have, a selection will be made from child's allowed traits, based on the order of the passed down trait.
  6. Luma Temtem - Bred Temtem normally have the same chance being of Luma as Temtem in the wild do (1 in 8000). This chance increases by x10 if one of the parents is Luma (x100 if both parents are Luma). Luma Temtem produced this way follow the same rules of inheritance for Single values as regular Temtem.

Common Breeding Styles[edit | edit source]

Perfect SVs breeding chart

Most players in the current game ([0.6.3]) use breeding in one of two ways. The first strategy involves catching a high number of Temtem of the same species that have at least 1 SV at the value of 50. After this, tamers use DNA Strands, a type of Gear, purchased at the Breeding Center, the Temtem are bred together in a specific order to result in a Temtem with 50 SVs in every stat, and the preferred trait of the species. Tamers using this strategy usually sell their results for pansun, or use them for tournaments or club-related content. This first strategy is the main way breeding is utilized.

The second strategy is to simply breed Temtem together to acquire the egg moves and traits preferred for competitive battles. Because in competitive matchmaking all SVs are boosts to 50, it is unnecessary to have perfect Temtem when creating a team. However, egg moves and traits still are important, and only result from breeding. Only in competitive matchmaking are SVs and Levels boosted.

Because some Temtem only appear once per player throughout the course of the story, only one trait for that Temtem can ever be attained without breeding. The only way to acquire a Temtem with the second trait is through breeding. These Temtem include Anahir, Houchic, and Smazee. Anahir's default trait is Trauma, so Flawed Crystal can only be obtained via breeding. Houchic's default trait is Soft Touch, so Mental Alliance can only be obtained via breeding. Smazee's default trait is Fever Rush, so Friendship can only be obtained via breeding.




References[edit | edit source]